“The shameful comments and obscene antics of Donald Trump say a lot about what he thinks about France and her values. The friendship between our peoples will not be stained by this disrespect and outrageousness. All my thoughts are for the victims of the November 13 attacks,” says former President Francois Hollande.
The French government joined survivors of the 2015 extremist attacks in Paris in condemning remarks by US President Donald Trump, who said the tragedy would have ended differently if people had been carrying firearms.
On Friday the 13th of November 2015, a series of coordinated attacks took place across the French capital at a concert hall, stadium, restaurants and bars, killing 130 people and causing injury to hundreds more.
Trump told an NRA (National Rifle Association) meeting in Dallas on Friday that if any employees or civilians present during the attacks had been armed, “it would have been a whole different story”.
On Saturday, France condemned Trump’s remarks, calling on him to show respect for the victims of the attack.
“France expresses its firm disapproval of the comments by President Trump about the attacks of November 13, 2015 in Paris and asks for respect of the memory of the victims,” foreign ministry spokeswoman Agnes von der Muhll said in a statement.
Survivors of the attack had already spoken out againsts Trump’s comments.
“We are outraged by this level of indecency,” said Philippe Duperron, president of the survivors association 13onze15. “Alas, no weapon would have changed the outcome because there were suicide bombers wearing explosive belts who were going to blow themselves in the places they were attacking.”
He also accused Trump of shamelessly using victims.
Former French President Hollande also condemned Trump’s remarks.
“The shameful comments and obscene antics of Donald Trump say a lot about what he thinks about France and her values,” said Hollande in a statement in French. “The friendship between our peoples will not be stained by this disrespect and outrageousness. All my thoughts are for the victims of the November 13 attacks.”
“Indecent and incompetent. What more is there to say? tweeted former Prime Minister Manuel Valls along with an article on Trumps statements at the NRA.
“Indignation and disgust after the statements made by Donald Trump about the November 13 attacks. Solidarity with the victims¦ the French are shocked. This transgression, it’s disrespect, tweeted Bernard Cazeneuve, who was Minister of the Interior when the attacks took place in 2015.
Earlier in the day, Duperron, who represents survivors through the 13onze15 association, urged the current administration to raise their voices.
We want the French state to take a stand, to denounce [Trump’s statements] like former Head of State Francois Hollande and Manuel Valls and to say that this kind of language is unacceptable,” Duperron said.