|CRIMSON TAZVINZWA, AIWA! NO!|Labour’s Jeremy Corbyn wants to “build a Europe, inside and outside of the institutions of the European Union.
Speaking at the Congress of the Party of European Socialists in Portugal, the Labour leader hit out at the continent’s “political establishment” and warned EU leaders that a “business as usual approach” could end up fueling the far-right.
“If the European political establishment carries on with business as usual, the fake populists of the far right will fill the vacuum,” he said.
He savaged EU support for austerity that had caused “serious hardship” across the continent.
“As socialists and trade unionists, we will work together to help build a real social Europe: a people’s Europe, a socialist Europe, that will strengthen solidarity across borders, resist the race to the bottom in rights and protections and work together to extend them for all workers, consumers and our environment.
“We have to recognise that EU support for austerity and failed neoliberal policies have caused serious hardship for working people across Europe, damaged the credibility of European social democratic parties, and played a significant role in the vote for Brexit.
“European socialists have to fight for a different kind of Europe.”
European Union Institutions & bodies
- European Parliament
- European Council
- Council of the European Union
- European Commission
- Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU)
- European Central Bank (ECB)
- European Court of Auditors (ECA)
- European External Action Service (EEAS)
- European Economic and Social Committee (EESC)
- European Committee of the Regions (CoR)
- European Investment Bank (EIB)
- European Ombudsman
- European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS)
- Interinstitutional bodies