Boris Johnson plans a post-Brexit festival of Great Britain and Northern Ireland schedulled for 2022 to celebrate independence and sovereignity of UK from the European Union; former prime minister Theresa May’s grand idea which the PM had been advised to skip///BY CRIMSON TAZVINZWA
Dean Creamer, a delivery director for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham is the point man of planning for the £120m project – dubbed the “festival of Brexit” by critics – which is due to take place in 2022, according to the Guardian reporting.
However, figures from arts institutions have privately expressed concern about the project, which some say is likely to alienate remain-supporting visitors at museums and galleries that are expected to take part.
There had been previous warnings that the idea – announced by May in 2018 as an initiative that would “strengthen our precious union” – could inflame tensions in Northern Ireland, coming a year after the centenary of Irish partition and on the 100th anniversary of the start of the Irish civil war.
Jane Bown’s photographs of the Festival of Britain, 1951
Jane Bown took at least 155 frames of the 1951 Festival of Britain on her Rolleiflex camera. The pictures show the startlingly modern architecture of the festival site, but also lots of the things she loved shooting, including children and people at leisure. These photographs now reside in the Occasions section of her extensive archive, which is held at the Guardian News & Media Archive.
Former British PM Sir John Major urges voters to back rebel candidates running against Boris Johnson’s Tories.
Sir John Major will tonight call on millions of young people to use their votes to derail Boris Johnson’s Brexit plans in an extraordinary general election intervention. The former Prime Minister and Conservative Party leader will break ranks with the party he once dominated with a plea to Britain’s youth to “choose the future you believe in”.
LONDON — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Friday he would not say how many children he had, saying that he would not “put them on the pitch” ahead of the Dec. 12 election.
“I love my children very much, but they are not standing at this election, and I am not therefore going to comment,” said Johnson, whose colorful love life has attracted tabloid attention in the past.
“I am not going to put them on to the pitch in this election.”
When asked if he was going to have more children, Johnson, 55, who is living at Downing Street with his partner Carrie Symonds after separating from his wife last year, said: “I’m not going to get into discussions (on this).” (Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; writing by Michael Holden. Editing by Andrew MacAskill)British
Channel 4 is to host a climate change debate this evening which will focus on how party leaders will tackle one of the key issues for voters in the general election.
But Boris Johnson and the Brexit Party’s Nigel Farage look set to snub the hour-long Emergency On Planet Earth debate.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson, Scottish First Minister and SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon, Plaid Cymru’s leader Adam Price and Green co-leader Sian Berry have agreed to take part.
Asked whether a Conservative minister, such as former environment secretary Michael Gove, could attend the Channel 4 debate instead of Johnson, a spokeswoman for Channel 4 News said: “Michael Gove is not the party leader.”
Invitations to Johnson and Farage remained open, the programme said.
The lack of appearance from Johnson sparked Twitter users to promote #BorisTheCoward, which went on to trend early on Thursday morning.