Shamima Begum begins her legal challenge over the removal of her British citizenship

Advertisements

Former home secretary Sajid Javid revoked the teenager’s citizenship in February.

By SAM TOBIN

Shamima Begum – the east London schoolgirl who travelled to Syria to join so-called Islamic State – is set to begin her legal challenge over the removal of her British citizenship.

Ms Begum, now 20, left the UK in 2015 and was found in a Syrian refugee camp in February after living under IS rule for more than three years.

Former home secretary Sajid Javid revoked the teenager’s citizenship later that month, prompting her family to take legal action against the Home Office in a bid to overturn the decision.

On Tuesday, the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC), a specialist court which hears challenges to decisions to remove someone’s British citizenship on national security grounds, will hold a four-day preliminary hearing in London.

Mrs Justice Elisabeth Laing is expected to deal with, among other things, whether depriving Ms Begum of her British citizenship rendered her stateless and was therefore unlawful.

Young members of the Druze community wave Syrian national flags during a rally in the Druze village of Majdal Shams in the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights on October 6, 2018 commemorating the 45th anniversary of the 1973 Arab-Israeli war. / AFP PHOTO / JALAA MAREY

• READ MORE: IS bride Shamima Begum says she was ‘brainwashed’
Individuals appealing to SIAC usually remain anonymous, however it is understood that Ms Begum has waived her right to anonymity.

Ms Begum, then aged 15, was one of three schoolgirls – along with Kadiza Sultana and Amira Abase – from Bethnal Green Academy who left their homes and families in February 2015 to join a fourth Bethnal Green schoolgirl, Sharmeena Begum, who had left London in 2014, in Syria.

In February, Ms Begum was found by The Times, nine months pregnant, at a refugee camp, telling the paper that she would “do anything required just to be able to come home”.

Ms Begum said she was married 10 days after arriving in Raqqa to a Dutchman who had converted to Islam, Yago Riedijk, who she claimed was later arrested, charged with spying and tortured.

She eventually left Raqqa in January 2017 with her husband but her children, a girl aged a year and nine months old and a three-month-old boy, both died.

• READ MORE: Jihadi bride Shamima Begum slams ‘unjust’ decision to revoke her citizenship
Her third child, a son, also died shortly after he was born.

Ms Begum told The Times she had “mostly” lived a “normal life in Raqqa, every now and then bombing and stuff”.

She added: “But when I saw my first severed head in a bin it didn’t faze me at all. It was from a captured fighter seized on the battlefield, an enemy of Islam. I thought only of what he would have done to a Muslim woman if he had the chance.”

The Home Office revoked her British citizenship later in February – a decision which is only lawful if it did not leave Ms Begum stateless.

It was speculated at the time that Ms Begum may have Bangladeshi citizenship, but Bangladesh’s minister of state for foreign affairs Shahriar Alam has denied this.

Home Secretary Priti Patel told The Sun last month that Ms Begum would not be able to return to the UK, telling the paper: “Our job is to keep our country safe.

“We don’t need people who have done harm and left our country to be part of a death cult and to perpetrate that ideology.

“We cannot have people who would do us harm allowed to enter our country – and that includes this woman.

“Everything I see in terms of security and intelligence, I am simply not willing to allow anybody who has been an active supporter or campaigner for IS in this country.”

52.6368778-1.1397592
Advertisements

Saudi King invites survivor and victims’ relatives of New Zealand shooting to make holy pilgrimage to the Hajj

Advertisements

They survived the Christchurch terror attacks. In Mecca, they’re finding peace as Hajj pilgrims//CRIMSON TAZVINZWA

(CNN)When 31-year-old Maryam Gul laid eyes on the Kaaba this week, it was a moment of complete peace. The cube-shaped structure, and most sacred shrine of Islam, felt a world away from the Linwood mosque at Christchurch, New Zealand where her mother, father and brother were fatally gunned down earlier this year.

“I thought I am looking at a symbol, a symbol of peace. A symbol of God. He’s here,” Gul told CNN.
Gul is one of 200 people who arrived in Mecca, Saudi Arabia from Christchurch this week to perform the annual Hajj pilgrimage, which began on Friday. They are survivors of the March 2019 terror attacks at two Christchurch mosques as well as the relatives of those who were slain in the shootings.
Fifty-one people were killed in the attack by a white nationalist gunman during Friday prayers.
Saudi Arabia’s King Salman extended the invitation to the group for the all-expenses-paid pilgrimage in July. CNN’s interviews with Christchurch pilgrims in Mecca were facilitated by the kingdom’s Center of International Communications.
In a statement published by the official Saudi news agency, Minister for Islamic Affairs Abdullatif bin Abdulaziz Al-Sheikh said the state-funded trip was part of the kingdom’s efforts to “confront and defeat terrorism and terrorists.” Christchurch survivors and victims’ relatives say the pilgrimage has been a means to healing from the violence that changed their lives.

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has invited about 200 victims’ relatives and survivors of the Christchurch massacre to his country for a holy pilgrimage.

The Saudi king is paying for the airfare, accommodation and travel costs, which could cost over $1 million, as they perform hajj, the holy Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca.

The pilgrimage is required for all able-bodied Muslims to perform at least once in their lifetime, with many believers saving for years to make the trip. The annual pilgrimage draws nearly 2 million Muslims from around the world to Mecca and sites around it.

HORRIFIC FOOTAGE OF CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUE SHOOTING SURFACES ON YOUTUBE AND INSTAGRAM

The Saudi ambassador to New Zealand, Abdulrahman Al Suhaibani, said the king invited the survivors and victims’ relatives because he was shocked by the March 15 attack at two mosques by an Australian white supremacist that killed 51 people.

Among those who have accepted the king’s offer was Temel Atacocugu, a 44-year-old kebab shop co-owner, who was seriously scarred by nine bullets shot by the gunman.

Atacocugu was confronted by the gunman face-to-face during the shooting, with the gunman firing a bullet into Atacocugu’s mouth, shattering his jaw.

“And then I said, ‘Oh my God, I am dying.’ When I see he’s shooting, when I see the smoke, I said, ‘Yeah, I’m dying.’ That’s the first thought,” said Atacocugu, adding that he then began protecting his vital organs as the shooter continued to fire bullets at him.

He said that since the tragedy nearly five months ago and extensive recovery efforts, he now feels “reborn” and welcomes the opportunity to express his gratitude to God for being given the chance for a new life when he participates in the hajj.

SAUDI ARABIA GRANTS WOMEN RIGHT TO OBTAIN OWN PASSPORTS, TRAVEL WITHOUT MALE GUARDIAN

In this July 31, 2019, photo, Temel Atacocugu, who was shot nine times during the Christchurch mosque attacks, tries on the clothes he will wear during the Hajj pilgrimage, in Christchurch, New Zealand. He is among 200 survivors and relatives from the Christchurch mosque shootings who are traveling to Saudi Arabia as guests of King Salman for the Hajj pilgrimage, a trip many hope will help them to heal. (AP Photo/Nick Perry)

The king typically invites several hundred people each year to perform the hajj as his own guests, often picking those most touched by tragedy that year. The ambassador said this was the first time he invited anyone from New Zealand.

Two weeks ago, the ambassador traveled to Christchurch to hand out the simple white garments the male pilgrims will wear. The terry cloth garments worn by men are meant to strip pilgrims down of adornment and symbolize the equality of mankind before God.

“It’s a wonderful time and this is a golden chance for people to get spiritual elevation,” said Gamal Fouda, the imam at the Al Noor mosque, one of the two mosques that were attacked.

Fouda, who also survived the shootings, said he’s traveling with the group as a spiritual leader. He said the memories of the shooting remain fresh in everybody’s minds and his mosque hasn’t yet returned to normal.

“The most important thing is that the New Zealand community, including Muslims, they stood together against hate,” Fouda says. “And we are still saying that hate is not going to divide us. We will continue to love each other.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

52.6368778-1.1397592

President Trump claims Sadiq Khan “is a DISASTER” & Re-Tweets Katie Hopkins!

Advertisements

Trump Shares Message From Katie Hopkins Attacking London Mayor Sadiq Khan.

The US president retweeted a post by former reality TV star Katie Hopkins, who took a screenshot of one of the messages//By Chris Robertson and Emily Mee, news reporters

Donald Trump has launched a fresh attack on Sadiq Khan by suggesting the London mayor was to blame for the hacking of the Metropolitan Police’s Twitter account.

The president retweeted a post by former reality TV star Katie Hopkins, who took a screenshot of one of the messages.

In the tweet, Ms Hopkins wrote: “The Met Police.

“Officers says they have lost control of London streets. Apparently they lost control of their twitter account too.”

Mr Trump then retweeted her comments, adding: “With the incompetent Mayor of London, you will never have safe streets!”

52.6368778-1.1397592

Donald Trump’s Attacks On Sadiq Khan Is Confused, Exposes A Nervous And Anxious President

Advertisements

The President of the United States has quote-tweeted a Katie Hopkins tweet in which both attack Sadiq Khan while wholly misunderstanding what the Mayor of London actually does

The Met Police. Officers says they have lost control of London streets. Apparently they lost control of their twitter account too.

 

Lets take a look;

Last night the Met Police Twitter account was hacked resulting in a number of tweets calling for the release of drill rap artist Digga D.

TWITTER

Never one to miss an opportunity to critique Khan, who just so happens to be Muslim, Hopkins appears to have decided that among the responsibilities of being mayor is the role of social media manager.

The controversial former columnist tried to equate the hack with the shocking incidents of violent crime in the capital in recent months.

A few hours later, a presumably sleepy president was logging onto Twitter and couldn’t resist joining in.The result? A perfect example of why Twitter can sometimes be the worst place known to humanity as 16,000 (and counting) people tacitly endorsed the president’s tweet with a like or a retweet.

But the explosive Mueller hearings happen next Wednesday; that’s why Trump is stressed by ‘stupidying’, stupifying paranoia, anxiety and dark worry. Donald Trump is sweating right now. The President of the United States has lined up some foils to obscure and distract Mueller hearings – that’s the reason he used Ilhan Omar and her Squad earlier this week; he thought the hearing were happening this week; the rally was meant to rebutt Mueller but lo and behold – it wasn’t to be; Mueller did not happen as schedulled but Wednesday nex week instead- so Trump turned to his primary political weapon RACISM; he had to give a speech to those poor souls congregating in North Carolina for goodness sake. They were already there – hence the now-infamous ‘send her back’ chants that have provoked humanity around the world which he had been engineering since entering The White House. >>>CRIMSON TAZVINZWA; AIWA! NO!

Trump foils

  • President Barack Obama
  • Hillary Clinton
  • Ilhan Omar
  • The Squad- 4 African American Congresswomen
  • London Mayor Sadiq Khan … this particular foil; simply he is Muslim

 

This is the second time this month that Trump has retweeted Hopkins – just weeks ago he promoted a tweet in which she praised a number of far-right politicians and said “the fightback by proud nations is on”.

Hopkins listed the names of four European politicians, all of whom have a track record of populist and discriminatory views.

Hopkins also said that “god-willing/jihadi-failing” she will be alive to see “Boris Johnson in Number 10” and “Trump in the White House” and “Netanyahu building Israel”.

TWITTER

The four right-wing politicians named in Hopkins’ tweet are:

 

52.6368778-1.1397592

Kamala Harris Thinks Donald Trump is a Coward

Advertisements
vvv

The President’s obviously racist tweets were, well, obviously racist//CRIMSON TAZVINZWA

Kamala talks about going after Joe Biden during the last democratic debate,

Donald Trump siding with dictators over the United States intelligence community, his obsession with the four democratic congresswomen, his abuse of power, the vote to provide 9/11 first responders with benefits, Medicare for all, pharmaceutical companies charging way too much for prescription drugs, political polls, and she reveals what she’ll do if she becomes president

52.6368778-1.1397592