'I gave the Prime Minister my ideas of how to negotiate it, she didn't listen': Trump taunts Theresa May over Brexit just hours before crucial Commons vote - and says he's 'surprised to see how badly it's all gone'

Trump vetoes bill passed by U.S. Senate to end border emergency

U.S. President Donald Trump, shown in a March 13 photo, has vetoed a border emergency bill that was passed in the Senate Thursday. A two-thirds vote of Congress would have been needed to override a presidential veto. The bill passed 59-41. (Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)
U.S. President Donald Trump, shown in a March 13 photo, has vetoed a border emergency bill that was passed in the Senate Thursday. A two-thirds vote of Congress would have been needed to override a presidential veto. The bill passed 59-41. (Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)

Democratic-controlled House is not expected to have enough support to override the veto – AIWA! NO!

President Donald Trump on Friday vetoed a congressional measure that would have blocked his attempt to use a national emergency declaration to obtain funds to build a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.

The president’s action kicked the measure back to Congress, where the House of Representatives is expected to take it up again, likely on March 26, in an effort to override Trump’s veto, a House Democratic leadership aide said on Thursday.

The Democratic-controlled House is not expected to have enough support to override the veto, the first of Trump’s presidency.

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

I’d like to thank all of the Great Republican Senators who bravely voted for Strong Border Security and the WALL. This will help stop Crime, Human Trafficking, and Drugs entering our Country. Watch, when you get back to your State, they will LOVE you more than ever before!52.8K5:42 PM – Mar 15, 2019

Advertisements
#FreeTheChildren

US Migrant Children Caged – Heart-Breaking Scenes – imagine it’s your real child by blood

#ImmigrantChildren in cages I care. #trump

Family And Society Team: images of young children being taken away from their families and sent to facilities where they will be held have invited outrage among Muslims – AIWA! NO!

People around the world are outraged by the US policy of separating families suspected of illegally entering the country.

More than 2,300 children had been taken from their parents by US officials since President Donald Trump enforced his “zero-tolerance” immigration policy, prompting an international humanitarian outcry.

#FreeTheChildren

Most of the children in custody are of Mexican families arrested at the border.

Public anger over the controversial policy has forced Trump to issue an executive order halting the family separation. But the order has been condemned by observers and analysts as falling short of addressing the situation.

Images of young children being taken away from their families and sent to facilities where they will be held have invited outrage among Muslims.

View image on Twitter

Nye Armstrong@nyearmstrong

#FreeTheChildren today the news about the protest was about how we momentarily detained a bus… The real story is who was on the bus. Don’t lose focus.6010:10 PM – Jun 23, 201852 people are talking about thisTwitter Ads info and privacy

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Jenny Manrique@JennyManriqueC

Photos by muslim activist @aliarsalem taken at the Ursula Detention Center in #McAllen. You can read more about what happened this Saturday when a group of protesters from #Dallas run into a bus full of migrant kids. Here is my story with @disolis https://bit.ly/2K2DFl7 62311:22 PM – Jun 23, 2018817 people are talking about thisTwitter Ads info and privacyView image on Twitter

View image on Twitter

Hamdia Ahmed@hamdia_ahmed

💔
💔
💔

Please take a moment to look at this photo. These immigrant children were crying after being put inside a bus to the detention center. Imam Omar Suleiman placed his hands on the windows to pray. You can see those tiny hands. #ImmigrantChildren6311:23 PM – Jun 23, 201844 people are talking about thisTwitter Ads info and privacyView image on Twitter

View image on Twitter

JΛKΣ@USMCLiberal

What we don’t know:
1)His name
2)His favorite toy
3)If he likes chocolate milk
4)What he wants to be when he grows up.

What he doesn’t know:
1)What he did wrong
2)Where his parents are
3)Who his captors are
4)Will he see his family again#ImmigrantChildren #KeepFamiliesTogether866:08 PM – Jun 25, 201862 people are talking about thisTwitter Ads info and privacyView image on Twitter

View image on Twitter

Sarah Porter@SColesPorter

#ImmigrantChildren I care. #trump319:04 AM – Jun 22, 201820 people are talking about thisTwitter Ads info and privacy

President Donald Trump vowed on Thursday to declare a national emergency in an attempt to fund his U.S.-Mexico border wall without congressional approval, a step likely to plunge him into a battle with Congress over constitutional powers. Conceding defeat in his earlier demand that Congress provide him with $5.7 billion in wall money, Trump agreed to sign a government-funding bill that lacks money for his wall, but prevents another damaging government shutdown. The bill, passed overwhelmingly by both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives on Thursday, contains money for fencing and other forms of border security. But it ignores the wall, which Trump in his 2016 campaign promised Mexico would pay for, arguing it is needed to check illegal immigration and drugs.

Trump former longtime attorney Michael Cohen will present a document to criminally implicate the president

Michael Cohen (left) arrives to testify before a closed door hearing of the Senate Intelligence Committee with his lawyer, Lanny Davis. | Alex Brandon/AP Photo
Michael Cohen (left) arrives to testify before a closed door hearing of the Senate Intelligence Committee with his lawyer, Lanny Davis. | Alex Brandon/AP Photo

The president’s former lawyer will publicly accuse Donald Trump of a crime over three days of Capitol Hill testimony this week – DARREN SAMUELSOHN and MATTHEW CHOI

Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump’s former personal lawyer, plans to offer up a document to lawmakers that he claims will show the president engaged in criminal conduct related to a hush-money payment to porn star Stormy Daniels, according to a person familiar with his planned congressional testimony.

The person said the document will refute a claim by Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s attorney, that Cohen used a $35,000 a month retainer from Trump as reimbursement for paying off Daniels. Cohen — who will soon report to prison for a three-year sentence tied to a litany of tax fraud and lying charges — is scheduled to appear Wednesday in a public House hearing, and will also testify privately on Tuesday and Thursday before Senate and House investigators.

During his testimony, Cohen also plans to address a much-discussed BuzzFeed report that the president ordered him to lie to Congress about business dealings in Russia during the campaign. The story initially sparked impeachment speculation, but was later thrown into question when special counsel Robert Mueller’s office took the rare step of issuing a carefully worded denial of certain elements of the piece.

“He’ll explain exactly why he lied and how he came to lie,” said the person familiar with Cohen’s testimony.

More broadly, Cohen will go into personal and character accusations against Trump, saying the president made racist remarks in front of him such as questioning the intelligence of African-Americans, according to the person.

After testifying behind closed doors on Tuesday, Cohen told reporters he’s looking forward to Wednesday’s hearing so he can “tell the American people my story.”

Trump ally Gaetz apologizes for threatening Michael Cohen ahead of hearing  – ANDREW RESTUCCIA and DARREN SAMUELSOHN

“At this point in time I really appreciate the opportunity that was given to me to clear the record and to tell the truth,” Cohen said. “I’m going to let the American people decide exactly who is telling the truth.”

As word of Cohen’s expected damning accounts leaked out Tuesday morning, the White House and Trump supporters began pushing back against the president’s former lawyer, highlighting his criminal record and deceitful history.

“Disgraced felon Michael Cohen is going to prison for lying to Congress and making other false statements,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement that didn’t address Cohen’s specific allegations.

“Sadly, he will go before Congress this week and we can expect more of the same,” she added. “It’s laughable that anyone would take a convicted liar like Cohen at his word, and pathetic to see him given yet another opportunity to spread his lies.”

On Capitol Hill, Trump’s closest allies echoed the sentiment.

Trump’s inner circle might escape Mueller charges — but still won’t be safe  – DARREN SAMUELSOHN

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) tweeted: “Tomorrow ⁦@OversightDems⁩ will hold their first big hearing. For their first big witness, they will roll out the red carpet for Michael Cohen. … Here’s the problem: Michael Cohen is going to prison in two months for several crimes, including LYING TO CONGRESS.”

Trump’s lawyers did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Perhaps the most attention on Wednesday will center on Cohen’s account of a payment made to Daniels during the 2016 election to buy her silence about an alleged affair. For the first time publicly, Cohen plans to accuse the president of acting criminally in the matter, a charge Trump has long denied.

Face The Nation Transcript October 30, 2016: Biden, Pence, Benenson

US Vice presidents’ war: Pence and Biden joust in Munich over foreign policy

NBC News
Image: A combo photo of Vice Pres
Dueling vice presidents: Pence and Biden joust in Munich over foreign policy.
A combo photo of Vice President Mike Pence and former Vice Presidents Joe Biden and Dick CheneyPeter Parks, Spencer Platt, Win McNamee / Getty Images //

“Leadership in the absence of people who are with you is not leadership,” Biden said

MUNICH — Vice President Mike Pence and his immediate predecessor, Joe Biden, on Saturday offered competing visions of American leadership abroad, presaging major divides and campaign cudgels heading into the 2020 presidential race.

“When you hear President Trump ask our NATO allies to live up to the commitments they’ve made to our common defense, that’s what we call being leader of the free world,” Pence told the Munich Security Conference.

“Leadership in the absence of people who are with you is not leadership,” Biden said a few hours later.

Pence urged Europeans to act as a bulwark against Russia and China and warned of the espionage threat from Chinese telecom companies. Europe should scrap the Nord Stream 2 natural gas pipeline and cease buying blacklisted Russian weapons, he said.

“We cannot ensure the defense of the West if our allies are dependent on the East,” Pence said.

Biden savaged the administration on its domestic policies. The separation migrant children from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border attested to a “struggle for America’s soul,” he said. And drawing a stark contrast abroad with the Trump administration, Biden praised NATO and the European Union.

“You’re never allowed to disagree with your brothers and sisters in public,” Biden said. “Today, because of, I think, a lack of leadership coming from the other side of the Atlantic, we find ourselves in a different place and it’s uncomfortable.”

Related: Trump is heir to John McCain, Mike Pence tells Europe]

Trump has frustrated European allies throughout his presidency with his hostility to a 2015 Iran nuclear deal, which they credit with defusing a regional nuclear crisis. More recently, Trump irritated European colleagues with an abrupt reversal of his administration’s Syria strategy, announcing without warning that the United States would withdraw from Syria.

Biden received a warmer welcome from the audience. And the event produced other signs of European allies’ discomfort with the Trump foreign policy approach. German defense minister Ursula von der Leyen, for instance, declared that Berlin would not be “neutral” in the great power competition between the United States and China.

“NATO is more than just a military alliance,” she said Friday through a translator. “It is a political alliance. And as a political alliance, we are faced with what is a prominent feature of the new security feature, the return of great power competition. Our American friends recognized that early on and we too understand this now.”

[Read more: China tells world to ignore Mike Pence ‘lectures’]

TRUMP’S behavior raised questions about his relationship with Putin; former Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 11:  Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe testifies before the Senate Intelligence Committee with the other heads of the U.S. intelligence agencies in the Hart Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill May 11, 2017 in Washington, DC. The intelligence officials were questioned by the committee during the annual hearing about world wide threats to United States' security.  (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
WASHINGTON, DC – MAY 11: Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe testifies before the Senate Intelligence Committee with the other heads of the U.S. intelligence agencies in the Hart Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill May 11, 2017 in Washington, DC. The intelligence officials were questioned by the committee during the annual hearing about world wide threats to United States’ security. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

FBI reportedly opened inquiry into whether Trump was working for RussiaThe Guardian

AIWA! NO!|In a shocking new interview from former Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, he details the measures he took to protect the Russia investigation. 

Andrew McCabe, the former acting FBI director, has said top administration officials talked seriously about removing Donald Trump from office just months after he become president.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein (from left), Attorney General Jeff Sessions and onetime acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe have all been political targets of President Trump's.
Andrew Harnik/AP
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein (from left), Attorney General Jeff Sessions and onetime acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe have all been political targets of President Trump’s.
Andrew Harnik/AP

Rosenstein did not want to write memo justifying Comey firing – new book

McCabe, who briefly ran the FBI after Trump fired James Comey as the bureau’s director, told CBS’s 60 Minutes that meetings took place at the justice department in the days following the firing to discuss whether Trump could be removed under the 25th amendment.

According to 60 Minutes correspondent Scott Pelley, who appeared on CBS This Morning on Thursday to discuss his interview with McCabe, the talks happened in the eight days between Comey’s firing in 2017 and the appointment of special counsel Robert Mueller to investigate Russian election interference and links between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

The latest major Trump resignations and firings

“The highest levels of American law enforcement were trying to figure out what to do with the president,” Pelley said. “They were counting noses. They were not asking cabinet members whether they would vote for or against removing the president, but they were speculating this person would be with us, that person would not, and they were counting noses in that effort.”

The deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein, offered to wear a wire to record incriminating conversations with Trump, McCabe said, according to Pelley. A justice department official had claimed to the Times that the comment about wearing a wire was made sarcastically, but McCabe told 60 Minutes it was serious.

“It came up more than once, and it was so serious that he took it to the lawyers at the FBI to discuss it,” Pelley said.

Responding to the claims on Twitter, Trump tweeted: “McCabe is a disgrace to the FBI and a disgrace to our Country. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

In a statement, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said: “Andrew McCabe has no credibility and is an embarrassment to the men and women of the FBI and our great country.”

In the interview, set to air Sunday, McCabe also said he authorized an investigation into Trump’s ties to Russia in the aftermath of the Comey firing. He confirmed reports that the FBI began to investigate whether Trump had obstructed justice, and whether he was knowingly or unknowingly acting as an agent of Russia.

McCabe said he ordered the inquiry to protect the investigation into Russian election interference after meeting Trump, because he feared he would be fired and the investigation would end.

“I was speaking to the man who had just run for the presidency and won the election for the presidency, and who might have done so with the aid of the government of Russia, our most formidable adversary on the world stage,” he said in a portion of the 60 Minutes interview released Thursday.

“I was very concerned that I was able to put the Russia case on absolutely solid ground, in an indelible fashion. That were I removed quickly, or reassigned or fired, that the case could not be closed or vanish in the night without a trace,” he said. “I wanted to make sure that our case was on solid ground and if somebody came in behind me and closed it and tried to walk away from it, they would not be able to do that without creating a record of why they made that decision.”

McCabe was fired two days before he was due to retire.