Man Und face their biggest Champions League test in years but can Ole Gunnar Solskjaer perform yet another miracle? – AIWA! NO!
Manchester United progressed to the quarter-finals of the Champions League after an epic comeback against PSG at Parc des Princes.
Their reward? The small matter of FC Barcelona, against the likes of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Gerard Pique.
The odds are stacked against United for this tie, but as we know, anything can happen in knockout football.
Ole Gunnar Solksjaer’s side welcome the Catalan giants to Old Trafford on Wednesday night, in what is a highly anticipated first leg clash.
So, will United shock Barcelona at home? And what will the final score be?
- Manchester United news and transfers LIVE Man Utd vs Barcelona team news as Paul Pogba tipped for Juventus
Manchester United vs Barcelona on FIFA 19:
To set up this simulation, we used kick-off mode but didn’t select a team to control; we then selected the teams and watched the match play out by itself, to give us a unique prediction.
The AI difficulty was set to world class, with the line-up updated with the latest injuries and suspensions.
Manchester United set up in a 4-3-3 formation, with the line-up as follows: De Gea; Young, Smalling, Lindelof, Shaw; Matic, Herrera, Pogba; Martial, Rashford, Lingard.
Barcelona also set up in a 4-3-3 formation, with their line-up as follows; Ter Stegen; Semedo, Pique, Lenglet, Alba; Busquets, Rakitic, Arthur; Coutinho, Suarez, Messi.
As you would expect, Barcelona dominated possession in the opening stages, calmly stroking the ball around, trying to find gaps in the United back line.
But despite the away side dominating with the ball, United looked relatively solid and were restricting the Catalan side to long range efforts, in what was becoming a strong defensive display.
In fact, the only chance of the entire first 45 minutes fell to Ivan Rakitic, but his effort from the edge of the area was easy enough to David De Gea to deal with.
United burst out of the traps in the second-half, as they looked to shock Ernesto Valverde’s side and catch them off guard – and they got the chance they had been looking for.
Jesse Lingard won the ball in midfield and drive forward into space and then sent a lovely through ball down the side of Clement Lenglet, looking for the run of Marcus Rashford, who was bearing down on goal.
Manchester United vs Barcelona latest
- Injury news: Manchester United give injury update on six players vs Barcelona
- Transfer latest: Manchester United send Real Madrid a Paul Pogba transfer message
- Solskjaer: Solskjaer reveals Ferguson chat ahead of Man Utd vs Barcelona tie
- Pique: Manchester United manager Solskjaer knows what Barcelona star Gerard Pique is scared of
- Suspensions: Solskjaer gives Manchester United players at risk of suspension vs Barcelona advice
- Messi: Solskjaer explains how Man Utd will stop Lionel Messi and Barca
- Mata interview: Juan Mata exclusive: Solskjaer and Ferguson will inspire Man United vs Barcelona
- Press conference: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Manchester United press conference
However, the Frenchman got back at Rashford and the English forward screwed the ball wide under pressure, spurning a golden opportunity.
United would live to regret that moments later.
Lionel Messi found space on the edge of the area and sent a pass through the middle, trying to find Luis Suarez in the area. Luke Shaw read the pass well but his touch was too heavy and Suarez pounced on the loose ball, firing past De Gea to make it 1-0.
That goal seemed to kick United in to gear, pushing forward to find an equaliser and they could have had one in the 75th minute.
Rashford returned Lingard’s favour from earlier, playing him through on goal on Lenglet’s side, but when one-on-one with Ter Stegen, he skewed his effort wide for another chance wasted.